Milestones & Landmarks:
- Born and raised in a hamlet in the northeast corner of Ohio too many years ago.
- First artwork displayed at age 8 in village Library-"Three Jesters" (crayon on construction paper.)
- First work accepted in juried art show at age 16, "City of the Sun" (tissue paper collage on cardboard), Three Rivers Art Festival, Pittsburgh, PA.
- At age 17, vowed to never "prostitute" myself by being a commercial artist (see,"ate words" below.)
- Entered Kent State University, majoring in glassblowing.
Later switched major to weaving.
- Moved to NYC, 1977.
- Worked at Neal Adams' Continutity Associates, learned how to do storyboards (ate words,) a career I pursued for over 20 years, 15 of them freelance.
- Joined the Graphic Artists Guild.
- Joined the Society of Illustrators.
- Moved out of NYC, 1993.
- Founded Thrum's End Art Studio in 1993 in Saugerties, New York.
- Closed Thrums End and established Buttonwood in 2008 in Kingston, NY.
- 2010, Published "The Word Project: Odd & Obscure Words- Illustrated"
- "Ritual Gestures Performed at the Appointed Hour;" Woodstock Artists Association & Museum, Woodstock, NY; June 15-July 8, 2012
- "The Word Project: Odd & Obscure Words- Illustrated;"Hudson Beach Glass Gallery, Beacon, NY, 4/10
- Selected Works; Oriole9, Woodstock, NY, 11/09
- Selected Works; Barnes & Noble, Kingston, NY
- "The Word Project: Odd & Obscure Words- Illustrated;" Sept, 2008; The Little Gallery, Sage College, Albany, NY
- "The Word Project: Odd & Obscure Words- Illustrated;" May, 2008; Arts Upstairs, Phoenicia, NY
- "Inspired Eyes;"June, 2007, M Gallery, Catskill, NY
- "The Word Project: Odd & Obscure Words- Illustrated;" September, 2006; Woodstock Artists Association & Museum, Woodstock, NY
- "Cut & Paste," Regional Juried Exhibition; Muroff Kotler Gallery, Stone Ridge, NY; March 15-April 19, 2013
- "Three Visions: Scheele, Nelson, Law;" The Anchor Inn in conjunction with Julie Heller Gallery, Provincetown, MA, May 28-September 19, 2012
- "NYFA/MARK '11," Kleinart James Gallery, Woodstock, NY; March 31-April 30, 2012
- "15" Albert Shahinian Fine Arts, Rhinebeck, NY; Feb-Apr, 2012
- "Unusual Portraits" Kleinart/James Gallery, Woodstock, NY, October, 2011
- "13 Artists of Ulster County" Brooklyn Arts Gym, Brooklyn, NY, August, 2011
- "Far & Wide" 2nd Annual Woodstock Regional, Woodstock Artists Association & Museum, Woodstock, NY; 4/3/10-5/3/10
- "11PICK2," WAAM, Woodstock, NY; 11/09-1/10
- Locust Grove Invitational Fine Art Auction, Locust Grove, Poughkeepsie, NY; April 26, 2009
- "The River" Regional Art Exhibition, WAAM, April, 2009
- "The National Cup Show- Director's Extension", Barrett Gallery, Poughkeepsie, NY, 2008
- "Call & Response: Artists Respond to Young Poets," WAAM; April, 2008
- "Hudson Valley Women Artists Outside of the Box," Barrett Clay Works Gallery, Poughkeepsie, NY: March, 2008
- "Watermark '08," North Carolina Community College, Whiteville, NC; March 2008
- "Holiday Show", M Gallery, Catskill, NY; December, 2007
- "The Nude Show", M Gallery, Catskill, NY; October, 2007
- "Woodstock Biennial," Kleinart/James Gallery, Woodstock, NY; August, 2007
- "3rd Biennial Dimensional Salon," Society of Illustrators, NY, NY; Dec 5-29, 2006.
- American Illustration, web portion, 2006
- WAAM, Woodstock, NY;
- Arts Upstairs, Phoenicia, NY: monthly salon shows since 2004.
Julie Heller Gallery, Provincetown, MA
- 2013 Hungry For Music auction of altered musical-instruments & accessories to benefit music programs in public schools
- 2011: Hudson Seed Library pack art
- 2011: "Saugerties 200," a special Saugerties Historical Society/Saugerties Artists Studio Tour project.
- 2010: "The Palatine Spirit," a special Saugerties Historical Society/Saugerties Artists Studio Tour project.
- 2009: Hudson Quad Treasure Hunt, a special Saugerties Artists Studio Tour project.
- 2007: ³Little Dutch Barn Auction² artist-made dutch barns to benefit the Saugerties Historical Society.
- 2006: 4 panels for the multi-artist modular mural, Town Hall, Saugerties
- 2005, 2007: ³Flights of Fancy² artist-made birdhouse auction benefit.
- 2005: ³Be Seated² artist-made chair auction benefit, WAAM.
- 2004: present: Saugerties Artists Studio Tour.
- 2004: present: ³5x7² show and sale to benefit the Woodstock Guild.
- "Illustrating Lost Language," New Paltz Oracle; 4/11/2013
- Hudson Valley Almanac article; 4/9/2013
- Daily Freeman (Kingston, NY) article & video, 11/2012
- Chronogram Magazine on solo exhibit: "Ritual Gestures Performed at the Appointed Hour"
- Roll Magazine review of "15"
- Video of me talking about my work and demonstrating some of my techniques go here.
- "Collages Make Clear Statements," Enjoy, Poughkeepsie Journal; March 14, 2008
- "Resource Recovery"; Almanac, Ulster Publishing; April 26, 2007
- "Art in the Garden," "Hanging Out"(Spring 2007) the newsletter of laundrylist.org
- "Illuminated Obscure Words"; Writing Magazine; February/March, 2007
- "Polly's law.....;"Woodstock& Saugerties Times; 9/7, 2006
- "Constructed Magic;" Inside Out Magazine; 3/4, 2006
- Saugerties Times; 4/17/03
- "Polly Law Will Doodle All the Day;" Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion Magazine; 9/10, 2002
- "Country in the City;" Country Living (U.S.) Magazine; 8/9, 1993
- "The Inspired Landscape: For the Birds;" Catskill Mountain Region Guide; July 2004
(50 Meter Freestyle, Borts Pool, Yo. OH; August 4, 1964)
- Bank of America Prize, "Far & Wide: 2nd Annual Regional;" Woodstock Artists Association; April, 2010
- 2009 Yasuo Kuniyoshi Award, Woodstock Artists Association
- Best-In-Show, Woodstock Artists Association; July 2008
- Sarah Kuniyoshi Award, Woodstock Artists Association; June 2007
- Honorable Mention, Woodstock Artists Association, October 2007
- Honorable Mention, Woodstock Artists Association, September 2007
- American Illustration, (web portion, 2006)
- Alan Koff Award; Woodstock Artists Association; October 2006
- Lucile Blanch Award; Woodstock Artists Association; May 2006
- Honorable Mention, Woodstock Artists Association, July 2006
- Leo Borkman Award; Woodstock Artists Association; April 2005
- Lucile Blanch Award; Woodstock Artists Association; February 2005
- Honorable Mention, Woodstock Artists Association; July 2005
- Honorable Mention, Woodstock Artists Association, October 2005
- People's Choice Award; Woodstock Artists Association; June 2006
- Ruth Ann Harnisch
- Dr. Christopher Amy
- Jane & Tim O¹Leary
- Hanna Roth
- Judith Singer
- Loel Barr
- Sylvia Wolf
- Dr. Lee Sider
- Barbara Bravo & Mike Harkavay
- Gerald Berke
- Alan Fliegel
- Deborah Begley & Tamara Watson
- Leslie Gerber
- Laurel Smith & Howard Bowen
- Williams & Russ
- Astrid Nordness
- Carol Zaloom
- Lou Pollack
- Erica & Nick Minglis
- Marylin Rowley
- Julie Sitney
- Mark Monlux
- Brad Hamman
- Lois Johnson
- Lydia Ross
- David & Istar Schwager